After executing two Vernier labs within our Biology classroom (about seeds and leaves, respectively), we asked for student feedback about the experience. The response was overwhelmingly positive. Students:
- Appreciate how well the labs connect to our course content;
- Find the lab experiences particularly useful, saying these help them to visualize complex concepts, and dispel misconceptions about plants; and
- Like that these labs allow them to explore the Plants unit in an authentic way, rather than focusing on rote memorization.
In addition, many students commented on how the new learning cycle that was developed for Biology creates predictability in the classroom, especially when they have missed class.
- They appreciate the consistency and clarity within the note packages.
- The question of the day gives students the opportunity to explore ideas that underscore the relevance of the content we are learning in class.
Overall, by creating opportunities for exploration and discussion with our Biology classes, our students are more engaged in the content, and in its application.